Healthy snack doesn't mean it has to be boring and tasteless. This healthy butter-free and eggless blueberry quinoa muffin is packed with superfood like quinoa, chia seeds and rolled oats! My hubby whom not a fan of cakes can't stop munching down a couple of them while they are still warm and even requested to bake this frequent in future :D
Cooked red quinoa (kin-wa)
As I do not have lemon on hands, so I substitute with orange juice & zests
Folding in the wet ingredients and blueberries
top with some flaked almonds and ready to send into oven
Fluffy, soft & moist texture!
Ingredient (8 small muffins)
- 125gm cake flour
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 cup cooked red quinoa (rinse 1/2 cup dried quinoa and boil in 2 cups water for 20 mins, drain well before using)
- 65gm brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp rice bran oil
- 125ml milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 lemon zest
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 fresh blueberries
- handful of almond flakes
- Preheat oven to 200 deg cel.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, oat, chia seeds, cooked quinoa, sugar, cinnamon powder, baking powder/soda and salt together. Whisk well to combine. Make a well in the centre.
- In a separate bowl, combine milk, oil, vanilla, lemon zest and juice together.
- Pour the liquid into the well and gently stir to combine. Do not over mix,
- Gently fold in blueberries.
- Spoon the batter into muffin cups till almost full. Sprinkle some almond flakes over. Reduce oven temp to 180 deg cel and bake for 25 mins until lightly brown and skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Remove muffins from oven and cool on wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.